GF Shopping in NYC - Noglu NY bakery

Today I'd like to talk about Noglu NY, french gluten-free bakery on upper east side. It's not the most convenient location for me, so I don't go there often, but in my opinion it deserves a dedicated trip just to check it out. Before I continue, this post is not sponsored, and I've purchased all products that I mention myself; all opinions are my own and YMMV.
Noglu NY - if you're late, the selection will be limited; this is how it looks on Sunday afternoon around closing time


Noglu NY is a branch of Parisian bakery and most of the stuff they sell is a gluten-free versions of traditional french breads and desserts.  Their self-description is short and succinct: "Renowned in Paris since 2012, Noglu NY is your new go-to place for gluten-free sweet and savory treats. Not only is it the only French bakery with a fully organic and locally-sourced menu, but it’s also a grocery store and a take-out eatery!" (their website with menu). They're located on Madison avenue between E90 and E91 streets, one block away from Central Park. It's a rather small store that manages to offer quite a few different things despite it's size. You can pick up some coffee/tea/juice with cupcakes or pastries, or soup with sandwiches and enjoy them in the park; but if it's too cold for you to eat outside, you'll have to make it takeout anyway, since they don't have any seating available inside the store.  Personally I don't see it as a problem, but some people might, so I better mention it.

I should also mention that it's not a paleo or keto diet-friendly place, and I don't think they have a low-carbs version of anything in the store; however, for people with multiple allergies Noglu has nut-free and milk-free products, which is nice. The stuff is really friendly and knowledgeable, and always ready to help with products selection. If you can manage it, you might want to visit them early in a day, since some things sell out really fast; I usually come in evenings or late afternoons at best, and I'm yet to try their baguette, which is usually my main reason to go there. Actually, I've noticed that their bread tends to get sold out first. Grocery part of Noglu has rather limited choices; they sell some nice chocolate, Italian gluten-free pasta, and some other things.
Lemon meringue tart and a slice of mixed berries loaf cake from Noglu NY

This is what I got last time I visited Noglu NY: lemon meringue tart and a slice of mixed berries loaf cake; I was hoping to get some bread and perhaps eclairs, but unfortunately they were all sold out. I liked both; they were not sugar-free, so I ended up having a sugar crash after eating half a tart, but it was worth it, the tart was delicious. The loaf cake had less sugar and it was perfect with coffee. I've tried other tarts before, and they were also very good. As you can see, both tart and cake were packed nicely and survived trip on the subway without any issues.

Everything that I've tried from Noglu NY so far tasted just like regular, gluten-containing versions; I think they did an amazing job adapting their recipes. If you're limiting crabs in your diet, like me, Noglu pastries will be off limits, but they're perfect as a special occasion treats.

Comments